PhD, Columbia University
LLM, cum laude, Cornell Law School
JD, cum laude, Cornell Law School
BA, with distinction, Cornell University
Dr. Meier’s interdisciplinary research—at the intersection of international law, public policy, and global health—examines human rights frameworks for global health governance. Advancing rights-based frameworks for public health, he has written and presented extensively on the development, evolution, and implementation of human rights. Within the Department of Public Policy, Dr. Meier teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in Global Health Policy, Health & Human Rights, and Justice in Public Policy.
With human rights rapidly evolving as a normative framework for global health policy, Dr. Meier taken an active role in policy discourse to improve global health and has served as a consultant to international organizations, national governments, and nongovernmental organizations, developing the following manuscripts based upon this engaged research:
- Benjamin Mason Meier, Paul Henry Brodish & Meri Koivusalo, Perspective, Human Rights Provide Justification for the Health in All Policies Approach, HEALTH AND HUMAN RIGHTS: AN INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL (2013).
- Benjamin Mason Meier, Oscar A. Cabrera, Ana Ayala & Lawrence O. Gostin, Bridging International Law and Rights-Based Litigation: Mapping Health-Related Rights Through the Development of the Global Health and Human Rights Law Database, 14 HEALTH AND HUMAN RIGHTS 1 (2012).
- Benjamin Mason Meier, Caitlin Pardue & Leslie London, Implementing Community Participation Through Legislative Reform: A Study of the Policy Framework for Community Participation in the Western Cape Province of South Africa, 12 BMC INTERNATIONAL HEALTH AND HUMAN RIGHTS 1 (2012).
- Aoife Nolan, Alicia Ely Yamin & Benjamin Mason Meier, Submission on the Content of a Future General Comment on the Right of the Child to the Enjoyment of the Highest Attainable Standard of Health, UNITED NATIONS COMMITTEE ON THE RIGHTS OF THE CHILD, January 5, 2012.
- Benjamin Mason Meier, Elizabeth Bukusi & Yasmin Halima, Strengthening Structures for Research Ethics in Kenya: Landscape Analysis of the Actors and Processes of Clinical Research Review (PATH/USAID, 2011).
- Benjamin Mason Meier & Jocelyn Getgen Kestenbaum, Perspective, The Commission on Information and Accountability for Women’s and Children’s Health: Establishing International Processes for State Reporting to an Independent Monitoring Body, HEALTH & HUMAN RIGHTS: AN INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL (2011).
- Benjamin Mason Meier, Strengthening Structures for HIV Prevention Research in Zambia (PATH/Global Campaign for Microbicides, 2010).
- Benjamin Mason Meier & Kristen Brugh, North Carolina and the Evolving Global Health Policy Agenda, 71 NORTH CAROLINA MEDICAL JOURNAL 452 (2010).
- Benjamin Mason Meier, Developing Health Legislation to Authorize the Work of the International Clinical Research Center of Rwanda (Rwanda Ministry of Health, 2009).